Thursday, August 30, 2012

Things Happen For A Reason....

I am a fatalist. By that I mean that I believe certain people enter our lives for certain reasons and that all things happen for a reason. Let me explain....

A while ago I discovered Kate who has a wonderful blog called Needled. Not only is she the most amazing textile designer and her knitting patterns are lip-smackingly gorgeous, but she is also the survivor of a stroke which she suffered in 2010. I don't know her exact age at the time but I think she was in her twenties. When I first stumbled across her blog I couldn't believe that someone so fit and healthy could suffer a stroke at such a young age. Weren't strokes only for old people? How wrong I was. I read Kate's blog avidly and especially her posts about her stroke and her long and slow recovery. At the time I didn't know why I read them, I just did. With each one that I read I felt more and more humble in the light of what she had suffered. She is so brave and her courage shows through her posts like a beacon to anyone who is recovering from an illness. She takes life one day at a time and revels in small achievements no matter how mundane or insignificant. She is a true inspiration and I often wondered why I found her posts so interesting and enlightening. Now I know.

As I've mentioned before a very close friend of mine suffered a stroke just two weeks ago aged 45. Whilst this cannot be compared to someone in their twenties, it still came as a huge shock to us all. A true 'it took my breath away' moment. As soon as I heard, however, I thought of Kate and her amazing journey and by going back and reading her posts I knew that my friend would come through this just as Kate did. Without the knowledge and detailed descriptions that Kate wrote, I'm not sure that I ever would have understood what my friend has been through but because of her blog I was able to find the strength to support her and her family through this very harrowing time.

I'm pleased to say that she's doing well and is recovering daily. The neurosurgeon has said it can take from 3 months to 3 years to fully recover from the type of stroke she had so it's going to be a long road. All I can say is thank you Kate for 'finding' me and educating me before this event took place. Without your words it could have been much harder to bear.

Was I meant to know about strokes in younger people? Most definitely.
Did I find Kate's blog on purpose through some strange spiritual path? I'm certain of it.
Are these type of 'meetings' coincidental? Not to me.

How do you feel about your life's journey? About the people you've met and why? Can you link certain events in your life to random meetings that at the time made no sense? I dare you to think about it......
Til soon.
x

4 comments:

  1. I do have a story about random meetings...not related to health issues or anything as serious as that. I used to take a city bus to and from University when I was a student. There was this hand spray bombed, camo, dodge van that I would see a lot. It creeped me out and I wondered what perverted hillbilly drove it. It was a really bad paint job and it didn't have any windows other than in the front. I made a point of standing in the bus shelter or waiting with a group of people when ever I saw it. It turns out that the van was being driven by a pervert all right....my future husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adele, this made me laugh out loud!! It just proves that not all these 'meetings' have to be deep and serious! Sometimes we just need to open our eyes to the possibilities.... lol x

      Delete
  2. I found this post very moving. I too have read Kate's blog about her creativity and her journey back to health after a stroke and it's breathtaking and inspiring. AS for your dare...! I pass on to you my favourite quotation of all time for what it's worth. It was said by Pope John Paul II after his survival of the assassination attempt on his life back in the early 1980s. He said "There is no such thing as coincidence in the Providence of God." I think this is extraordinarily true and all sorts of things in my own life have borne it out. One has to think about it carefully - he is not saying "Everything is predestined or fated." Which I'm glad about because I don't believe that it is! But yes I do believe there is no such thing as coincidence within the Providence of God. Opportunities and possibilities are offered us for a reason. We are free to turn them down of course and sometimes we do. Sometimes we wish we hadn't. That's life. But sometimes we take those opportunities and run with them and untold and deep blessing is hidden within them for a time perhaps we can only see with hindsight. I personally believe that the more we are open to such opportunities the less we miss them and accordingly the more blessings we become able to receive and carry to others. As you yourself clearly are doing for your friend and her family. I don't know what your spiritual perspective is so you may not feel at home with Pope JP's way of expressing it but I think there's a lot in it. As Hamlet observes to his friend, "There are more things in heaven and earth Horatio...." Hope your friend continues her recovery as speedily as may be. She and her family are so lucky to have your friendship and belief in the future and support. E x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear E - thank you so much for this. I agree wholeheartedly with what you say! lol xxx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a message...