Sunday, April 29, 2012

Crafting Balance - KCBWDay7

Here I am at the last post for the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week! I can't believe I've actually managed to post every day for a whole week! I've loved every minute of it and will miss the 'buzz' of having a daily deadline!!!! Hope you like it .....


Balancing my crafts is not easy. Between being a wife, a mother, a teacher, a housewife and a bookshop owner there are often not enough hours in the day for any serious crafting. However, my evenings are my own and for those treasured couple of hours I'm extremely grateful. Because my time is limited I have to be sure that when I sit down I'm absolutely certain of what I'm going to do. I don't have time to mess around and try this and that. Those kind of luxuries I save for the school holidays when I can stay up until midnight if I want to, scratching around in my yarn basket and ripping back as and when necessary..... (That's my idea of a great evening, never mind going out!)

I always have at least one project on the go but often it's more like three or four. One is usually crochet of some description and it's more than likely a little pile of squares that will eventually grow up to be a blanket for cold winter evenings! I normally have a knitting project on the go as well and this can be anything from squares (for yet another blanket) or a jersey for me, DH or kids! I occasionally have two jerseys on the needles but this is generally when one of them is a complicated pattern and the other a simple stocking stitch or garter stitch pattern which I can take to school and do when I'm on playground duty.

I've recently been eyeing a few shawl patterns which are stunning but it's difficut to get lace wool here so those may have to wait until some dear friend goes overseas and foolishly asks me 'Is there anything I can bring back for you?' - I wonder if they'll mind when I say 'Yes, a suitcase full of wool!' .....

Til soon.
x

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great plan- I wonder why you have so much trouble getting it in SA? I too never seem to have enough time in my day for all the ideas and crafting I want to get done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same Laura, I always have several projects on the go and my evenings are my own to craft as I like.
    Maybe we should enter into a wool swap and I can post you some yarn you find difficult to get hold of and visa versa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Shelley that would be great! I've never done one before so how does it work? Are there rules?

      Delete
    2. I think we set the rules between us. Would be fab to do! I can let you have my email address should you wish to discuss further and we can sort something between us and decide what we would like to do?

      Delete
    3. Shelley, if you click on About Me on my blog, you'll find my email address. We can chat further there.... x

      Delete
  3. Laura, to quote the words of the infamous Baldrick, "I have a cunning plan..." You need to raise your own flock of sheep. Then you'd never be short of wool! Actually, such a venture is presumably an awful lot more complicated than it sounds. Besides which, you would have to expand the garden and start growing plants for dyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ole Baldrick - always there with a great idea!!! Not sure my four dogs would welcome a flock of sheep but my kids would love them!!!! lol x

      Delete
  4. Gosh Laura, you are a busy person!

    A bookshop owner, that sounds interesting. What sort of bookshop is it?

    I think im like you when it comes to craft projects. Usually about 3 or 4 on the go, and mainly only get to work on them at night.

    cheers
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fi - We have a general bookshop selling new books in all genres. Our biggest sellers are children's books which I love to choose for the shop! xxx

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave me a message...